Health is wealth. The connection between the two goes a long way. The relationship between the two not just affects each individual in the workforce but businesses as well.
Inculcating a healthy lifestyle can indirectly improve your financial state. If you are healthy, all the medical bills that you can avoid goes into your savings. Have you checked the proportion of your earnings that was spent on medical bills last year? It yields a shocking number in most cases. In the current times, people are always on the go but they are seldom active. A sedentary lifestyle, sitting for long hours at work, excessive time spent on the PC, working on computer or even not going to a physical office for those who trade with option robot or bad posture at the workplace, consumption of unhealthy food, all leads to poor health.
When you are not healthy, besides casting a financial strain on your own self, it also costs the company that you work for. A healthy employee is a productive employee. Understanding the importance of the employees’ health, several companies these days have started focusing on encouraging a healthy lifestyle for the employees.
Here are some quick facts about ill-health can affect the financial situation of businesses and individuals and how companies are tackling them:
- Take smokers for instance – their lifespan on the whole, is drastically affected. This makes the net worth of that individual to be half of that of a teetotaller
- In several countries, companies keep a check on the smoking habits of the employees. Those who smoke might have to pay higher premiums on health insurance. There are companies that also encourage smokers to quit by offering them attractive incentives if they quit the habit.
- As a general scenario, it is seen that, to some extent, the physical traits of an individual also impacts his or her earnings. Income of a fit individual, a person who doesn’t smoke, is often seen to be relatively higher than that of someone who is obese or that of a smoker.
- As the current work environment in several areas involves sitting for long hours, thanks to the automation of a majority of the processes, bad posture related illnesses are quite common. Employers now understand the health implication of bad postures and investing on ergonomic office furniture. This helps improve the posture of the employees and thus promote better health.
- Several employers also encourage being fit by housing in-house gym and fitness centre with free fitness programs for the employees.
- There are also health awareness programs organized periodically and campaigns to promote healthy habits like yoga and meditation. This is because workplace stress is another major culprit taking a toll on the employees’ health.
All these measures involve extra expenditure for the companies. But in the long run, instead of tackling the losses caused by employees going on sick leave, paying for medical insurance claims of the employees and recruiting resources to fill up vacancies caused by sickness etc, such steps can be relatively more economical. Science has evolved and so has medicine and its allied fields like neuroscience, healthcare etc. There are several ways to avoid illness and with the help of advanced science, you can manage your health as well as your wealth.
Interview of Jonathan Rubin (University of Pittsburgh, USA): Summary of the changes on neuronal activity that are associated with parkinsonism and overview of the Rubin/Terman computational model (interview published July 9, 2012).